Stan Hamlet Associates Inc.
60 E. 42 Street, Suite 4600, New York, NY 10165
Risk and Control Advisor – Jersey City, NJ (Salary to $125K)
Risk and Control Advisor – Jersey City, NJ
Salary: up to $125K
Internal Audit’s mission is to provide independent, objective assurance and advisory services to assist the enterprise in maintaining an effective system of internal controls.
Internal Audit supports the Boards of Directors in their oversight of the governance, risk and control framework, and will achieve and maintain the highest level of professional standards, while furthering the development of our employees.
Specifically, the Corporate Functions Audit team is responsible for providing assurance and advisory services to the Company’s corporate support functions, including: Finance, Legal and Compliance, Human Resources, and Corporate Services.
The Risk & Control Advisor (RCA) is predominantly focused on audit projects, participating in planning, driving fieldwork, and assisting with report clearance. The RCA’s primary measure of success is identifying meaningful potential issues about the design and effectiveness of controls, and creating reliable documentation to support his or her work. The RCA must manage a number of auditee relationships, be a good team player, and take accountability for his or her personal growth and professional development.
Strategic Control Impact
- Identify meaningful issues from audit fieldwork
- Work closely with auditees to achieve timely progress on agreed action plans
- Build advisory relationships with middle managers outside the context of IAD’s routine audits
- Support risk management priorities:
o Take ownership for identifying risk, such as credit, market, liquidity, quantitative, operational and technology, within his or her assigned area of responsibility
o Adhere to departmental risk policies, procedures and best practices
o Identify opportunities for improving existing processes or creating new ones that more effectively anticipate, manage and reduce risk
o Maintain awareness of regulatory issues and comply with regulatory requirements
o Comply with corporate initiatives, such as the New Initiatives Process (NIC), Management Self Identification of Audit Issues, Management Control Awareness & Responsiveness (MCAR), Operational Risk & Control Self Assessments (RCSA), etc.
o Demonstrate the behaviors of and build competency with creating a risk management mindset
- Consistently demonstrate an ability to complete risk-focused fieldwork on time and on budget, notifying the audit manager promptly of any possible impediments to success or when budgets might be exceeded
- Fully resolve review notes and apply learning from those review notes to future projects
- Lead projects from time to time as experience grows
- Demonstrate a strong knowledge of IAD’s policies and procedures—particularly work paper documentation standards
- Participate in continuous improvement initiatives
Individual & Team Development
- Demonstrate a strong commitment to teamwork, helping peers wherever possible
- Identify and seize opportunities to grow skills, talents, and knowledge about audit planning, reporting, and the products and functions he or she audits
Previous internal or external audit experience is helpful, but not required. Previous job experience for RCAs can and should vary greatly to meet the department’s goal of having a team with diverse perspectives and work experiences.
The incumbent for this particular RCA position would benefit from having a background in financial services industry and market, credit, quantitative, liquidity and operational risk disciplines.
Knowledge and Skills Required:
Our Leadership Model sets out the core behaviors required of all employees. Each SRCA position is unique and may require the incumbent to have or build specific knowledge of the businesses, products, functions, and processes within his or her coverage responsibilities.
More broadly, successful auditors typically demonstrate the following skills and behaviors:
- Good written and oral communication skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Self-starter, with the ability to work independently and in teams
- A high degree of responsibility in balancing multiple commitments and meeting deadlines and commitments to stakeholders
Education, Training and Certification:
Bachelor’s degree or higher is required.
Certified Public Accountant is a plus
The SRCA may supervise other team members on specific projects, and could have managerial or supervisory responsibilities.
Contact a Stan Hamlet Associate: 212-685-4884